- Absorbent yeast and clay compounds may reduce ryegrass staggers and improve stock health.
- Reducing intake of toxic ryegrass by grazing management or offering supplements, crops etc is beneficial.
- Replace toxic ryegrass with AR1 ryegrass or a similar safe endophyte cultivar where possible.
- Spraying/cropping or double spray/fallow reduces toxic ryegrass seed in the soil and ensures a safe pure sward is established. This could take two years.
- Prevent the invasion of wild-type seed via hay/silage, dung, fleeces and machinery.
- Selection for animal resistance to staggers may be a good long-term strategy.
For further information please download the attached PDF